Proposed removal of packages with long-standing FTBFS failures

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 14:07:01 UTC 2008

2008/9/6 Michel Salim <michel.sylvan at gmail.com>

> 2008/9/5 David Nielsen <gnomeuser at gmail.com>:
> >

> > Den 5. sep. 2008 22.21 skrev Paul <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk>:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> This is a pain. Every time I've tried to build MD 1.0, koji has thrown a
> >> wobbler complaining that %{_libdir}/mono/gac can't be found! I will look
> >> at it again over this next week though.
> >
> > Didn't the wonderful Michel fix this recently, he cleaned up the spec and
> > bumped us succesfully to 2.0 beta.
> >
> I haven't touched the F-9 branch; as I'm not running F-9 anymore, and
> with the changes in the Mono stack, I didn't want to risk any
> breakage. Paul likely knows more about the difference between F-9's
> mono and Rawhide's -- Paul, you could perhaps backport the Rawhide
> monodevelop to F-9? Some of the BRs might need to be changed.

I believe the new monodevelop requires gtk-sharp-2.12 which in return will
require us to push everything that depends on gtk-sharp2 (with patches or
updated versions from rawhide). I would be in favor of this as it would make
our Mono stack a bit more consistent across the supported platforms and it
would allow us to have the same supported versions of many programs on every
platform. Something like gnome-do e.g. is generally only supported in the
latest release by upstream and we cannot put that in F9 because our stack
cannot support it currently.

Maybe once Mono 2.0 Final hits we can decide if a coordinated push to F9
(and F8 if it is still supported at such a time) is desirable, that would
give us time to clean everything up and maybe the friendly ppc arch team can
help us fix nant as well so ppc users can get a complete mono stack.