Boot speedup with readahead

Davide Moretti dave at rimini.com
Sun Sep 7 10:41:35 UTC 2008

On my system:

Without readahead: 1 minute and 30 seconds
With readahead: 1 minute and 30 seconds

Time was until gnome applet showed up, so on my system readahead did
not improve boot speed at all.

Note that there is a bug that prevents readahead-collector from
starting if you have selinux disabled, since the /.autorelabel file is
still hanging around during reboots, I had to remove this file for
collector to work.

1) The rhgb removal is a big step forwards, rhgb slows down things a lot.
2) One major thing to look at I think is the initrd and udev, these
take really a lot of time
3) Get rid of that sysinit stuff and start using upstart jobs, I still
have not seen any progress on this.