Boot speedup with readahead

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 15:24:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> wrote:
> Davide Moretti schrieb:
>>
>> On my system:
>>
>> Without readahead: 1 minute and 30 seconds
>> With readahead: 1 minute and 30 seconds
>>
>> Time was until gnome applet showed up, so on my system readahead did not
>> improve boot speed at all.
>>
>> Note that there is a bug that prevents readahead-collector from starting
>> if you have selinux disabled, since the /.autorelabel file is still hanging
>> around during reboots, I had to remove this file for collector to work.
>>
>> 1) The rhgb removal is a big step forwards, rhgb slows down things a lot.
>> 2) One major thing to look at I think is the initrd and udev, these take
>> really a lot of time
>> 3) Get rid of that sysinit stuff and start using upstart jobs, I still
>> have not seen any progress on this.

Incase anyone is interested now in building a custom fedora kernel but
doesn't know where to start (like me a few minutes ago):
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

That provides all the info to customize that kernel of yours.
But i do suspect that more customizing is required to get it boot in 5
seconds. probably requires adjusting the initrd image as well.