Fedora not "free" enough for GNU?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 19:40:46 UTC 2008

2008/9/7 Benjamin Kreuter <ben.kreuter at gmail.com>:
> I usually agree with the FSF on these matters, but firmware is where I part
> ways with them.

And you know what... that's absolutely OKAY.  We aren't going to get
much accomplished by getting stuck in a debate over the ethical or
moral necessity of this.  The only question that matters  right now is
this... Do we want people who feel they must make a personal choice to
avoid using closed firmware the ability to use Fedora?

If so are we as a project making progress to see that that happens by
working with upstream kernel developers to make that possible without
adding gobs of Fedora specific kernel patches?  All we can do is do
our best to make progress on this in a way that does not sacrifice our
own core project ideals. What we first and foremost is a conduit
between users and upstream development. We must continue to endeavor
to see that the changes that we desire or champion get into the
upstream development.   Is progress being made? The fedora-kernel-list
discussions seems to indicate that we are on the right track.  The
proponents for a blob-less kernel might not be happy with the
pace...but it seems to be we are trying to be responsive in a way that
makes sense from our project's point of view.  It seems to me we have
a way forward and its just a matter of getting people to agree to take
each step on the path.

-jef"but what the hell do i know anyways"spaleta