$arch.newkey mirrors

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Mon Sep 8 08:47:43 UTC 2008

I have been following the threads concerning the newly signed updates
due for release shortly and have done some investigation on the
availability of the packages from the mirrors.

 From my understanding the $arch.newkey directories contain the newly
signed packages underneath each of the release version directories in
the updates tree. Looking on download.fedora.redhat.com it looks like
these started appearing around 28th August and were last updated around
5th September.

HOWEVER, on all of the mirrors I have looked at (which is a small
sample) these directory trees exist but are empty. The one's we are
interested in support RSYNC as we hold a local copy of the trees we are
interested in. The best example of this is mirrorservice.org in the UK
(best as it is the one we use) but even major site sin the US do not
have the packages.

Am I right in believing that this is going to cause some significant
delay when the keys are finally published?
Is this what is expected or is this a problem with the mirroring process
that needs fixing?

Reason I am asking is that I would like to fix our mirror process but
without directories populated on an rsync server I am stuck.

Also, what is the likelihood that the old $arch directories will
disappear and be replaced by the $arch.newkey directories once the keys
are released?

Howard.