Dependency loops considered harmful?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Sep 8 23:30:24 UTC 2008

Seth Vidal <skvidal <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/remove-recurse.py

The big problem with this approach is that it has no way to know whether the
package wasn't actually explicitly installed, but just happens to also be a
dependency of the package about to be removed. (E.g. if A Requires B and I do:
* yum install B
* yum install A
* yum remove A
I don't really expect B to get removed. And AFAIK there are several pairs of
packages in Fedora where that situation could apply.) That's why there's all
this discussion about tracking that information with a flag in some database.

        Kevin Kofler