make force-tag gone

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:58:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:05 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 09.09.2008, 09:28 -0800 schrieb Jeff Spaleta:
>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Debarshi Ray <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have happily used 'TAG_OPTS=-F make tag' [1] on the rare occasions
>> > that I needed force-tag. I might try to use local hacks to get around
>> > it if people decided to try and block 'TAG_OPTS=-F make tag'. :-)
>>
>> We will ultimately need to also disable TAG_OPTS=-F as well
>
> -1

You are -1 to my statement? You find my statement factually incorrect?
I'm really sick of the +1 and -1... this isn't a vote..this is a discussion.

Here I'll reproduce my entire quote verbatim again:
"We will ultimately need to also disable TAG_OPTS=-F as well if we want
to make cvs tags immutable references that we can rely on to generate
corresponding source on demand."

IF we want to rely on tags for anything that has a legal
implication... then they must be immutable...and even TAG_OPTS=-F must
be disabled if it threatens the reliability of the tags. There's no
in-between. If we are going to rely on cvs tags then they must be
immutable.  Education and the honor system is not enough. If we are
going to rely on them for any number of auditing reasons they must
become immutable.

The statement has absolutely nothing to do with the utility of
TAG_OPTS=-F in dealing with trivial changes. I'm sure both TAG_OPTS=-F
and force tagging are useful to someone. Such utility is not an
argument against immutability for the sake of auditability.

Nor does my statement assume that cvs tags are the best way to create
the source audit trail. But if we are going to attempt to rely on cvs
tags... then they must be immutable. If TAG_OPTS=-F is a way to cause
damages that immutability...it will have to be disabled.

With force tagging off but TAG_OPTS=-F still available, its not clear
to me what additional assurances on tag fidelity we have actually
gained in the current situation. Half-measures, are no measures.

-jef