Plan for tomorrows (20080910) FESCO meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 16:12:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:59:53AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RWMJ> In reality this is not the case - we only wish to rebuild a few
> RWMJ> common libraries.
>
> I guess its important to know who the "we" is that you're speaking
> for, and whether you intend for that set of people to be limited in
> some way.

Certainly don't want to limit it.  Our repository is public and open
for anyone to download and contribute.  Anyone with a FAS account can
join the SIG.

hg clone http://hg.et.redhat.com/misc/fedora-mingw--devel/
& read the README file.

> Because I honestly don't see the difference between what
> you're proposing and, say, doing something like building KDE (and all
> of its attendant libraries and requirements) for Windows.  Besides
> scale, of course.  Sure, you have no intention of doing this, but who
> can say that nobody else here wants to do so?

Well we've built the whole of Gtk which was about 10 packages[*].

I don't know how many library packages are in KDE.  Remember: not the
whole of KDE, just libraries.

Should KDE have a separate repo?  What about Perl with its hundreds of
CPAN libraries?  I can point to any big project in Fedora already and
ask if it should have a separate repository.

Rich.

[*] Packages ported to MinGW so far:

  atk cairo fontconfig freetype gettext glib2 gnutls gtk2 iconv jasper
  libgcrypt libgpg-error libjpeg libpng libvirt libxml2 pango pixman
  portablexdr zlib

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)