Plan for tomorrows (20080910) FESCO meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 18:50:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:46:35AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Also, we still want to think about the generic case of which gettext and
> NSIS are examples... are there cases where we want to build something
> for a Windows environment using MingW where we would not desire an
> equivalent to run under Fedora?

PortableXDR is another example.  XDR is provided by glibc in Fedora.
Unlike gettext there isn't any Fedora equivalent package.

I don't know if PortableXDR even compiles on Linux -- it might do, but
that would only be by coincidence since it's primarily designed to
provide XDR libraries for Windows & Mac OS X.  In any case a Linux
PortableXDR package would be pretty useless since it just duplicates
functionality which is already in glibc.

[NSIS]
> Very nice!  So, was this worthwhile?  Is it something that the policy
> should codify for the generic case as a must do, something it should
> recommend doing, or something that it should stay altogether silent on?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but: The native Fedora NSIS
doesn't have any plugins enabled.  If you need functionality contained
in NSIS plugins then you have to run the Windows version under Wine
(or actually in Windows).  This isn't as much of a problem as it
sounds since if Wine is installed then Windows executables "just work"
without you needing to do anything special.

I'm hoping that the native Fedora NSIS will be sufficient to build
installers for the tools we care about, but I haven't actually tried
it out yet.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/