RFE: yum transaction auto-complete

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 11 14:20:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 09:58 +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> I would like to propose the following RFE. Whenever yum is running, it
> creates a state file. If the machine hangs/crashes during an upgrade.
> Whenever the machine reboots, and yum is run again (or package kit?),
> that state file should be detected. The user should be warned about an
> incomplete software installation. The user should be prompted to
> automatically run yum-complete-transaction.

There's a couple of problems with doing this on every run:
1. if the next run is non interactive I'm not  sure what is the more
appropriate default
2. if the next run is 'yum remove something' does it really make sense
to complete the last transaction (possibly downloading a bunch of stuff)
first?

Now, I would be fine with emitting a "there are unfinished transactions"
message and a small sleep. But I don't think intervening with what the
user is doing is going to necessarily be helpful. Though I'm not
terribly bound to this idea.

-sv