Boot speedup with readahead

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 11 14:52:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 11:34 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > So this seems to work - now the question is - should we push for this to
> > go into rpm instead?
>
> Not instead, but to rpm *too*, yes.
>
> Quite obviously an action that's currently done from say %post script
> should stay at rpm level, moving some things to be only done once per
> transaction is just an optimization really. But yum knows a lot more about
> the surrounding world than rpm does, such as which repository a package
> came from which is something rpm has no clue about, and thus it can do
> things in post-transaction that rpm simply could not do. I don't have an
> example use-case in mind atm but I'm sure somebody can come up with some
> relatively sane example ;)

Recording info on what happened in each transaction in an external
database and wanting to include the info on where a package came from.

I was thinking of adding a set of variables you could pass to external
scripts. Something like:
 1. pkg nevra
 2. pkg repo (if pkg being installed/updated)
 3. action being taken on package (install, update, erase, etc)
 4. package checksum (if pkg being installed/updated)

Afaict all but 2 should be doable inside rpm. I'm just a little blurry
on how easy it will be to implement in rpm.

If you want it in rpm, though, that's fine by me. I'm holding off
checking this plugin into yum-utils until after this is discussed a bit.

-sv