what is keeping per-user state outside of user's $HOME ?

John Ellson john.ellson at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 15:30:53 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 10:40 -0400, John Ellson wrote:
>
>> I have a problem when my userid, and only my userid, has no Lock Screen
>> menu item or applet.
>>

> (having not looked at the bug)
>
> Are you sure it's not a ConsoleKit interaction making the session think
> your user isn't at the console?

Only if ConsoleKit is keeping per user-state.   If I login at the
console as any other user I get the Lock Screen menu item.

I just tried moving aside my home directorory, deleting my userid,
removing everything in /tmp and /var/tmp, rebooting
creating a new userid with the same name (but different user and group
numbers),  and it still has no Lock Screen!!!

Something is keeping information about userid "ellson" outside of
/home/ellson,   but what?

--
John Ellson