modesetting feature status

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 23:04:23 UTC 2008

2008/9/11 Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 01:46:04PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> fix
> >>
> >> So are you saying:
> >>
> >> a) enable it for both, see what breaks
> >
> >I've been advocating us getting the pieces merged for a long time so
> >that we could see what was broken rather than trying to wait for a
> >mythical "perfection" that's been just another week or two out for on
> >the order of months now.
> >
> >> b) remove both, because, screw it
> >
> >This is a part of the contingency plan.  But removing for both seems a
> >little extreme.
> >
> >There's also c) Just enable it for radeon.  Intel users get pretty
>
> It's not working very well on radeon either.  My laptop never gets a
> display (i686), and it's hosed on ppc in general.

Neither my trusty old r200 nor my shiny new r600 experience any issues
booting in the default configuration, however there is no sign of
acceleration so the X experience is so slow as to be practically useless. I
trust the regression will go away by stable, I will help any way I am able
to make it so (which frankly does not go beyond testing new code and
reporting back).

- David

- David