Feature Proposal: Use cases database

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 01:55:24 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:

>>  Can you describe a whole machine with a catalog file?
>
> I guess you could, but they are not really designed for that.

Well, since we are talking about use cases here, I'll describe what I
think a package manager should do.  I'd like it to convert between a
text description of the packages and the packages themselves in the
general sense and in either direction.  That is, at any point you could
ask it for a description of the packages you have and get a file that
you could copy to a different machine where you could use it to install
exactly the same set there.

Or, you might diff the file against another one produced at a different
time or on a different machine to see what packages were different.  Or,
you might feed it to a version control system, perhaps with similar
machines as branches so that you could easily track any combination of
changes over time or changes between machines.

It should, of course do subset groupings as well as the whole package
list.  Being able to revert backwards would be a big plus as would an
option to track files that are modified after installation from a package.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com