PostgreSQL mgmt on Fedora: pg_cluster-like tools?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:05:13 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> I agree that the package manager should have the ability to install
>>> multiple versions of things - and not just in this case.
>
> Packaging, not a package manager decides that. RPM and yum can install
> parallel versions just fine and do that for dozens of packages in the
> repository.
>
>  But,
>>> what/who  should determine which executables/libraries go in the
>>> default path?
>>
>> rpm -ivh postgresql-set-default-8.3-1.noarch.f9.rpm
>>
>> :)
>>
>> This will symlink executables and libraries to default path and leave
>> the rest outside the path.
>>
>> How does it sound?
>
> Sounds like duplicating what is available as part of alternatives package.

The double symlinks used by alternatives are even more confusing than
the single set needed to do it directly, but it could work either way
with a helper script for the conversion so the end user doesn't need to
know too much about the real locations.  There would be a couple of
extra problems here - you would be starting from a package not
alternatives aware and trying to change that too, and you somehow need
to whack all the running programs that might be linked to the wrong
libraries when the running version update happens.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com