Beware: External repos can break key transition

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Sep 12 13:38:01 UTC 2008

On 12.09.2008 12:25, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 10:27 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> I'd *much* prefer if users don't run into that trouble at all. I
>> currently think that the best solution is the one outlined in this sub
>> thread:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00151.html
>> E.g. enable skip-broken by default
> The yum backend in PackageKit tries to enable --skip-broken, but it
> doesn't seem to make much difference.

:-/

>> For those cases a '"More Information" button in PackageKit' is likely
>> a really good idea.
> The text I've got already is this:
 > [...]
> case PK_ERROR_ENUM_REPO_NOT_AVAILABLE:
> 	text = _("There was a (possibly temporary) problem connecting to a software source\n"
> 		 "Please check the detailed error for further details.");
> 	break;

I suppose this one is the one that will be shown in the
xine-lib/xine-lib-extras case and similar cases with inter-repo problems.

> [...]
> I don't mind adding a clickable link in the dialog, but the data needs
> to be translated and so I would much prefer to point the user to a yelp
> page with all the extra info. I've a horrible feeling that this help
> text would be very distro specific.
 >
> How would you improve those error messages, and what "extra
> information" would you provide to the user?

Hmmm. Not sure and maybe a total crazy idea, but maybe a three stage
solution could do the trick:

1) the small warning dialog with links to

2) a more specific help text in yelp

3) a page in the wiki which could list current issues and their workaround

> My personal view is that by showing an error dialog, we've lost, and
> should avoid doing it at all costs.

+1

And we should not forget all those users that call yum directly.

CU
knurd