Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat Sep 13 02:20:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote:
>> Chuck Anderson writes:
>>>
>>> Audio works on the GDM login screen.  Orca starts and reads the login
>>> window to me...
>>

>> What Fedora? And, what GDM? This worked, hmm, perhaps 60-70% for me back
>> in Fedora 8. But GDM has gone through a massive rewrite since then. None
>> of the users I'm in touch with have gotten this to work on F-9 or later.
>
> I just tried this too with GDM, and got speech too.  I right clicked
> in the lower left of the screen, checked the "Read text" option, and
> moused over and heard sound.  Have you filed a bug about this issue?

Incidentally you should be able to enable this by default so sightless
people don't have the bootstrapping problem of enabling TTS.  There is
some documentation on the new GDM configuration here:
http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration

Unfortunately GConf is overly complex to use (a bug we would like to
fix), but this page describes how to use GConf to set GDM's
system-wide settings:

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/desktop-guide/s1-ddg-intro-gconf-default-mandatory.html

So for example:
sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type=boolean -s
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/accessibility/screen_reader_enabled true