Proposal: Better force-tag

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sun Sep 14 16:16:39 UTC 2008

On Sunday 14 September 2008 10:16:03 Warren Togami wrote:
> > Just removing stuff does not solve problems you have to implement a
> > better alternative first (and not rely on a worse one).
>
> Since nothing stops the user from using TAG_OPTS=-F, it is ineffective
> of us to remove force-tag.  How about an improved force-tag instead?
>
> Make force-tag use koji to check if a build for that N-V-R is already
> complete.  If it is complete, then refuse to tag again with the same N-V-R.

Yes, this sounds exactly like what should have been done. We should not have
disabled a feature that many people legitimately use until we had a tested
solution that does not interrupt the work flow. This is needless arguing with
no tangible benefits for anyone. I consider the srpm to be the canonical
source of the build. That is the only granularity people can access via any
mirror.

-Steve