The state of resolv.conf

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 03:41:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 21:37 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
>
> > I have an itch. I connect to work using openvpn. Works great, except that openvpn does not modify resolv.conf to add
> > work's dns servers (now available through vpn). It does that on Windows though! I cannot expect openvpn or (any other
> > application) to simply overwrite /etc/resolv.conf at will, but what is fedora missing to get an elegant solution to
> > this problem ?
>
> If you use openvpn through NetworkManager, then I'd say NetworkManager should
> handle this for you.

Yeah, at the end of the day something needs to mediate between services
that need to update your DNS information.  If you're using
NetworkManager, then NM does this mediation for you for things like PPP,
PPtP, DHCP, openvpn, and vpnc.

But if you're not using NM, each service (vpnc, dhcp, openvpn, pptp,
ppp, whatever) has to have it's own logic to backup and restore
resolv.conf.  And that just sucks.  Some distros have resolvconf to help
with this, which does the same sort of thing as NM and "stacks" DNS
configs.  Most of these hacks are standard *NIX: everything has it's own
system and nothing works very well.

Dan