Boot speedup with readahead

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Sep 15 06:14:15 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> The diversity of RPM front ends is a sign we're doing things right.

And the fact that none reliably works...

> Do we want to drag all of Yum's deps (python, and so on) down in to RPM
> itself? How about C++?

Since when C code can't do all the stuff Python and C++ can?

> Two things are getting completely confounded in this thread.
>
> 1) Prelinking
> 2) GNOME icon cache
>
> Prelinking is a non-vital system-wide optimization. It does not need to
> be in RPM.

You are completely missing the discussion.  No one suggested RPM should do
prelinking or update GNOME icon cache.  The discussion is how to get RPM
trigger those.

> The GNOME icon cache is a whole other bag of crackrock.

Design a better one if you can.

> Is it really
> required for system functioning? I'm assuming since we're bending over
> backward for it, it is required. Duplicate spec scriptlets stink, but I
> think the real problem is in GNOME. Should the cache really be system
> wide? Why is it not per-user, and automatically re-generated? The whole
> thing stinks of bad design, we shouldn't have to be special-casing crap
> like this in our package management in the first place. It doesn't
> belong in RPM *or* yum.

Allowing flexible triggers such that GTK+ can add a trigger to be run whenever
an icon is installed belongs in RPM.

behdad