Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Sep 15 10:56:01 UTC 2008

On Saturday, 13 September 2008 at 03:39, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 19:02 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> >
> >> I'm talking about the direction and technology of the desktop product;
> >> what server images, embedded etc. do is an entirely different matter.
> >

> > Desktop Product? We don't make a desktop product.
>
> The live CD image, combined with the default comps tree from
> "gnome-desktop" is what I consider the desktop product.

So let me get this straight. You only want to disable text mode consoles
in the live CD spin? Why didn't you say so in the beginning? Even so,
it is still a bad idea.

> > We make a linux distribution.
>
> I am certainly not here to make a "linux distribution", which I
> consider a derogatory term.

What? Are you serious? I certainly am here to do that and I'm proud
of it. And I know many others who feel the same.

>  It implies that all we do is take the
> linux kernel and a bunch of tarballs we found on the internet, compile
> them, and throw the binaries over the wall.

It implies no such thing. I don't know where you get your ideas, but
please keep them away from Fedora.

> The goal is rather to
> make a compelling and useful free desktop operating system.

"Useful" is the key word here. Why you insist on calling it "desktop"
OS, I don't know. Maybe you're not talking about Fedora.

> To do
> that, you need to make choices about how the operating system works,
> and how pieces fit together.  If people want an OS that tries to
> support every possible configuration of every tarball that can be
> found on the Internet,

That's a non-sequitur and you know it. Giving users a distribution that
will allow them to run whatever software they want (regardless of whether
it is included in Fedora or not) is one of the goals of Fedora, but
this has nothing to do with text mode consoles being there or not.

> and is consequently near-paralyzed by choice
> and is only able to make releases every 5 years, debian.org is -->
> that way.

Apparently you don't listen to what users have to say. If you want to
support only a single configuration and deny users the choice,
apple.com is ---> that way. Or maybe microsoft.com. Definitely NOT
fedoraproject.org.

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu