Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Mon Sep 15 11:10:00 UTC 2008

Colin Walters <walters <at> verbum.org> writes:

> We're going to be removing the legacy non-X system consoles by default
> in the long run.

I am sincerely hoping that we are not heading for this kind of disaster:

Don't worry about graphics drivers being moved into the kernel - that's not the
biggest evil here. Pay particular attention to this sentence:

"And there is no loss of reliability, since (a) the kernel mode implementations
of Win32 are fully protected from direct access by applications; and (b) the
Win32 server process is considered a critical system component of Windows NT
3.51, such that if the CSRSS.EXE process faults the entire Windows NT operating
system is _shutdown_."

Note how Microsoft engineers completely missed the real reliability point here.
The situation is grave (i.e. the reliability is crap) due to idiotic design -
and right from the start - they just documented it here.

They are here because they have no _alternative_ UI. No other way to log in. No
way to kill bad stuff and continue.

Let's not do that with Fedora. Please.

--
Bojan