Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Sep 15 11:39:35 UTC 2008

Le Lun 15 septembre 2008 12:57, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski a écrit :

> On Monday, 15 September 2008 at 12:35, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> Le Sam 13 septembre 2008 00:59, Arthur Pemberton a écrit :
>> > I'm confused. Is Fedora really going to remove non X consoles?
>>
>> Mid-term that wouln't be such a bad idea.
>
> One would have to say why it is a good idea in the first place.

Simply put, non-X-console input is a mess (X input is a mess too but
at least there are people trying to fix it), non-X-console font
support has fossilized, and support for modern high resolution screens
is severely lacking.

The console has not evolved for a long time, while text requirements
have gone up. At this point a dumbed down text-only X session is
probably the only credible console future (or something that is not X
at all but uses many libraries we associate with apps now).

Non-X-console state is so bad nowadays I don't bother reporting bugs
on it. Even if they are fixed they always reappear the next Fedora
cycle. There is simply not enough console users and console
developpers to do anything but life support anymore.

And that's ok. Do remember that X was defined at a time hardware was
vastly less powerful and core X is not wasteful at all. Compared to
how the rest of the system has bloated, X is definitely lean and mean.

--
Nicolas Mailhot