The state of resolv.conf

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 12:44:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 09:32 +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Wouldn't the best way be to have an api that can be used to add and
> delete DNS servers and manipulate resolv.conf. Then we could have
> deamons call that.

No what you really need is more than a simple resolv.conf file.

We need a default caching daemon (which by itself will solve a lot of
other issues) that tools like NM, vpnc, openvpn can interact with.
These tools will tell the caching daemon which IP ranges and which
domains their provided forwarders should be consulted for. All dynamic
so that as soon as one daemon goes away, the caching DNS will notice and
revert queries to the default DNS. And if NM/routes go away it can keep
working out of its cache.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York