The state of resolv.conf

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 12:02:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 01:34:06PM +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Is there any current daemon that does this effect of directing name
> resolution to specific servers according to IP ranges and/or domain names,
> with the option of adding/removing servers on the fly ? Does dnsmasq do that?

Yes, dnsmasq can definitely direct specific domain names to specific
servers.  I'm not sure whether it can do IP ranges (ie. reverse
lookups) but it wouldn't surprise me.

server=/example.com/1.2.3.4
server=5.6.7.8

will direct all requests for example.com and *.example.com to server
1.2.3.4, and any others to 5.6.7.8.

I use this feature all the time BTW.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/