Advice request for mono packages

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 15:09:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 13:29 +0100, Paul wrote:
> It is something which is important for mono based packages that
> provide
> the source for non-GAC dlls and needs to be addressed in the packaging
> guidelines (something which needs altering a tad IMHO).

This is really where we're working around bad coding practices from
upstream.

Why doesn't Mono.Cecil adopt a stable API? Or at least a versioned API,
so that when they break API, they increment version and then things can
depend on a version of the API?

This isn't rocket science. It isn't even novel.

We don't generally permit package-local copies of system libraries for
lots of reasons, like the fact that they often miss bug fixes, security
fixes, often end up being duplicated in multiple packages and are much
more difficult to maintain.

~spot