Non-X text mode console

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Sep 16 15:17:42 UTC 2008

Colin Walters writes:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Jochen Schmitt <Jochen at herr-schmitt.de> wrote:
> >
> > David A. Wheeler schrieb:
> >> I think it's clear from this discussion here that many people DO
> >> find non-X console mode useful, and thus, it shouldn't be removed:
> >> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski:
> > I agree with you, that a release of Fedora without non-x mode console
> > may be
> > a disadvantage.
> >
> > Blind or low vision people may prefer non-X mode consoles. And I think
> > there are other
> > peoples with such prefernces too.
>
> For such use cases, an X terminal emulator such as gnome-terminal
> should be indistinguishable.  Except that all the OS infrastructure
> like DBus, sound, etc. will be available and work.

You're assuming the X-based assistive technology will become at least as
performant as the non X technology is today. I certainly don't regard
this to be impossible. I simply note we're not there.

But, I suspect we would also need multiple x-terms. Cramming this all
into one tty won't cut it from the perspective of reliable access to
particular applications. I realize emacspeak actually does it in one
tty, by providing a list of virtual buffers. But that's an interaction
model that doesn't work for everyone--probably for similar reasons that
vi and emacs have their strong partisans even in the a11y community.
It's a different model for getting from where I am to where I want to go
next.

Janina