Non-X text mode console

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Sep 16 15:26:18 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot writes:
> Le lundi 15 septembre 2008 à 14:06 -0400, David A. Wheeler a écrit :
>
> > The complaints about non-X console mode failing to support
> > "multiple fonts" are irrelevant.
>
> There are no such complains. My complain on the contrary is that current
> console mode demands the use of multiple fonts (and creates many
> problems in the process)

I would grant that maintaining two separate technologies for font and
layout is untenable. That makes sense to me.

The conclusion that, therefore consoles must die is not, however, a
logical conclusion inevitably drawable from that proposition. It would
be so unlike computer technology to provide us but one solution to any
problem--one of the first principles I was taught in CS 101, and one
that seems to be borne out by experience.

Janina