rawhide report: 20080912 changes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 09:30:27 UTC 2008

With some of the last changes (or earlier ones from the week before the
freeze), I can no longer observe a major performance penalty in rawhide.

And one F8 updated partially to F9 with Yum doesn't suffer from that
problem anymore either. I did "yum update kernel ; yum update
xorg-x11-drv-ati" plus more from xorg, libs and gdm to make the system
work. 797 pkgs are still from F8.  It used to be a sys cpu usage overhead
of something around 20% for basic gnome desktop usage, with peaks much
higher than that which slowed down the entire desktop significantly (and
visibly also in system monitor). That is not noticable anymore.