Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Sep 17 13:45:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 12:39 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> There is a use case for this, namely if you have several "seats" with
> different logged in users: in this case one probably only wants the
> sounds of the "active session" being played and others muted. Just in
> case you ask, we're using that setup at home, my wife and I are logged
> in all the time an switch between users via the applet or
> <Ctrl><Alt>F7/F9.

This is a good example of a common problem with free software: we focus
on the fringe cases at the detriment of the common ones (many time the
ratio can be less then 10/90).

Folks that do use multi-seat setups are already more advanced, so those
guys should flip a switch (maybe not even a PA but rather a desktop wide
switch saying "multi-seat"), the default should match peoples
expectations.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.