configuring sudo by default (was: Re: Today's (9/12) rawhide all users = unable to authenticate user!)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Sep 17 15:23:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 05:09:57PM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> 80% is the entry gets added to /etc/sudoers by the user addition
> interface if 'make this user an admin' is checked.
> I think the entry would look like:
> username ALL=(ALL)    ALL

The problem is that this is file has a ridiculously complicated and picky
syntax. I am really skeptical about machine-editing it. It seems a lot safer
to have a group there, and add and remove from that group. It doesn't have
to be "wheel", although that's traditional.

Plus, we get userhelper auth-as-user functionality basically for free.