consequences when a feature gets dropped (Re: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-09-17)

zimbra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 17:18:19 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis said the following on 09/18/2008 09:58 AM Pacific Time:
> On 18.09.2008 14:13, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> == Summary ==
>> === Features ===
>  > [...]
>> As an added note, the following Feature pages have not been updated.
>> They
>> need to be updated before Beta or they will be dropped as Features:
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterStartup
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EFI
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FirstAidKit
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GNOME2_24
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GoodHaskellSupport
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HDTVEnhancements
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KernelModesetting
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OnlineAccountsService
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RPM4.6
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SaveToBugzilla
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Sugar
>> ** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TimeZoneAndLocation
>
> What exactly are the consequences if a Feature "will be dropped"? It
> sounds a bit like a threat and as something bad. But is it really?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Dropping

Since the beginning of the feature process we have referred to it this
way.  To date this is best motivational technique we've been able to
find to get people to update their feature pages.  We'd gladly accept
suggestion for something better :)

"dropped" essentially means it won't be advertised as a key feature of
the release on this page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/FeatureList

No where does it say the package has to be removed from the distro if
the proposed feature isn't completed in time.  We had some examples in
Fedora 9 where this was the case.