system-autodeath

Stephen Warren s-t-rhbugzilla at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Sep 19 20:43:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:29:46AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> A while back I mentioned a system-autodeath idea for fedora. For some
> reason I had neglected it but this evening I put it together. If you
> take a look it is utterly trivial and just uses cron to kill the
default
> route. I'm sure there are limitless ways this will not be perfect but
> think it will probably be good enough.
>
> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/system-autodeath/
>
> If you can come up with any way it is broken, let me know, otherwise
> I'll probably submit it for review.

I forget from previous conversations - Is this intended to be part of a
default install - i.e. whether somebody asks for it or not? If so, it
seems broken by design to me.

This and the ignore-everyone-not-using-ATI-or-Intel text
console/modesetting thing is really making me seriously consider switching
distros.

I haven't actually looked at the implementation yet, but does it interact
correctly with dhcp, NetworkManager, wifiroamd, etc. (i.e. stop those
services from simply restoring the default route immediately.)