fun with metacity segfaults on rawhide eeepc

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 21:20:43 UTC 2008

>>> Hi, please see:
>>>
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces
>>>
>>> And file a bug against metacity with the associated trace.
>>>
>>> (Someday we will finish http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CrashHandling
>>> and this manual work will not be necessary)
>>
>> OK, I can install debug packages and log tickets without issue but I
>> have no idea given that its crashing as I login through GDM I have no
>> idea how I'd add GDB to that.
>
> Go to the console and run it through startx. You can just invoke
> metacity as your regular window manager.
>
> echo xterm > ~/.xinitrc
>
> Then from the fresh xterm, you can run metacity through gdb. Maybe it
> won't be triggered, though, unless you run a full gnome-session.
>
> Matthias' suggestion might be easier, though.

Maybe, so is the change it to compiz or something that doesn't
break... but then that doesn't move the release forward for the better
either... I was hoping for the former so I could actually use my nice
new netbook, but I'll gather the useful info first... is it possible
to change WM from the command line though? gconf or something?

Peter