How important is comps.xml to us these days? Which packages should be in comps.xml and which not?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Sep 21 12:04:30 UTC 2008

On 20.09.2008 21:13, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Saturday 20 September 2008, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>>> If you maintain an application which makes sense for a user to select
>>> during installation, [...] make sure that your package is listed in a
>>> reasonable group in the comps-fn.xml.in files.
>> I consider the "during installation" part not much helpful
> Not sure if you're referring to the addition of those two words, but I added
> them today -

I don't have a any problems with the addition of those two words (but
I'm not sure if they really improve the situation); the change OTOH was
one more reason for me to actually write the mail that started this
thread ;-)

> if I'm missing something and they make the document less
> correct, the change should be reverted.

No pressing need to; what we afaics need is this

1. take a closer look at how the data from comps.xml is used in anaconda
and PackageKit or other software
2. based on those information create more clear guidelines (or even a
policy) what packages should be in comps (and where and how)
3. implement that guideline/policy; that normally will be a job that is
best done by the package maintainers; but I suppose more than just a few
will likely ignore that work, thus depending on how important comps.xml
is (which depends on "1") someone maybe should sit down and add all
those that are not in yet but should;

 > [...]

CU
knurd