recover from broken yum transaction

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Sep 22 00:51:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 21:06:03 -0300,
  Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:

> My interest is not in work arounds, it's in addressing the actual
> problem, if there's agreement that there is one, so that it doesn't
> bite people who didn't know about the need for work arounds in the
> first place.

There seems to be two problems you are referring to. One is convenient
remote management and the other is transactions not being atomic.
The grid people probably have some remote management tools to help
them out. If these aren't available in Fedora, then maybe someone can
get them into Fedora. There have been a few messages from people trying to
get a SIG off the ground that would be a good place to address this.

Doing atomic yum transactions is going to be hard. Probably your effort would
be better spent keeping the system from crashing during an update then
trying to implement atomic updates.