recover from broken yum transaction

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 03:29:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> Doing atomic yum transactions is going to be hard.

No doubt about that. RPM/Yum atomicity without FS snapshot support is
impossible to achieve. But I am sure a lot of things can be improved.

> Probably your effort would
> be better spent keeping the system from crashing during an update then
> trying to implement atomic updates.

I cannot speak for Alexandre - but in my case that is just not
possible. I will soon be dealing with thousands of servers running in
rural schools in many countries. Very unreliable power, spotty
internet connectivity. Once yum has started an operation, I hope it
can work hard at completing it, even if that's across several reboots.

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions