recover from broken yum transaction

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 05:19:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> I'm sure there are easier things to prune than yum itself.

Perhaps you are right. I was probably expressing my own worries about
yum memory usage on the XO :-)

In a 30s unscientific test yum does seem to consume a fair bit of RAM
while RPM runs. The F9 machine I use for dev/build purposes had 9
updates to apply.

I just did `yum -yt update` while running repeatedly `ps_mem.py   |
grep yum ` (in hindsight, I should have grepped for rpm as well). It
quickly ramped up to 44.9 MiB private + 1.5 MiB shared during the
Resolving Dependencies stage, and stayed there for the duration. While
rpm was running, yum was _still_ sitting on thos 46MiB.

It looks like it has the whole package metadata in a memory structure.
Perhaps it's needed for the plugins, though I hope the internal APIs
don't require that all that stuff is in memory.

> whether yum's transacation-completion machinery was applicable
> here.

>From what I read in this thread the transaction-completion machinery
doesn't try to parse the repo data into memory. It just reads the plan
from the transaction log and tries to execute it. If that's true, then
it's got a good chance as a workaround.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions