Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 23 00:25:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16.09.08 23:57, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> >> OK. Thanks for the explanation.
> >>
> >> So, the concept limits audio to a single console, even if the same user
> >> is logged in somewhere else? I guess running pa as a systen daemon would
> >> not exhibit this behavior?
> >>

> > Actually, Lennart changed PA to not be strictly per-session, but
> > per-user, I think. But I don't know the details of how that works.
>
> Which is broken because in reality per-session and per-user are the
> same thing.  You can't log in multiple times:
> http://cgwalters.livejournal.com/16885.html

As far as I know we again allow multiple simultaneous X logins by the
same user. Also, PA supports console logins now, where multiple logins
are the common case.

I'd love to have a per-homedir/per-machine bus in D-Bus. This would
allow me to start PA up via normal activation. Unfortunately we don't
have such a bus and adding it to D-Bus is admittedly questionnable
since only in the fewest cases using such a bus is valid. Those cases
are the ones where machine-specific resources are managed by a user
dbus service. Besides PA only the new V4L daemon (possibly) comes to
my mind that fall into this category. Adding such a bus for just two
users probably doesn't make too much sense. Especially since according
to Scott Upstart will eventually support starting per-user "singleton"
daemons easily.

Lennart