Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 04:35:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
[snip]
>> 5.)   While I paplay, I try to go Ctrl-Alt-F1. While I'm not prevented
>> from doing so, paplay believes it should pause playing while I'm away
>> from the gui tty. Now, who's the genius that figured out this
>> "feature?"
>
> I did. And it actually is a feature. It fixes a long standing security
> issue.
[snip]

I'm missing how write access (as opposed to read/recording) to an
audio device creates a material security vulnerability.  It seems that
the majority of the complaints are that playback stops and that it
surprises the user.  Recording stopping may also be surprising, but
it's easy to explain the security argument there.

If the answer is "differentiating read and write access is hard/not
possible with the current API"  then thats what it is, but simply
blaming security is going to baffle people.