Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 23 12:37:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23.09.08 14:26, Olivier Galibert (galibert at pobox.com) wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 02:21:26PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Oh my. So you know someone who thinks that ioctl()s are ingenious API
> > design? You probably should choose your friends more carefully, then. ;-)
>
> ALSA's kernel interface is 100% ioctl.  It doesn't even use read() or
> write().

I know. But ALSA hides that in a library, so you never have to deal
with these ugly details. Ain't that great?

OTOH OSS' programmers interface *is* the ioctls themselves. And that's
one reason why its API sucks.

Also, OSS is practically not virtualizable. (LD_PRELOAD and CUSE are
hacks, that only work for the smallest part) The timing model is
broken. The entire design is hardware-specific, and focusses on hw we
had 20 years ago.

OSS as an API is terrible.

Lennart