Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 23 14:42:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23.09.08 10:23, Alan Cox (alan at redhat.com) wrote:

> > In short: how modern software wants to drive a sound card has changed
> > quite a bit. And OSS3 is from the early 90's. So it's focussed on
> > hardware, and it is focussed on hw and sw from 20y ago. An SB16 is
> > quite different from a modern HDA sound card.
>
> Not vastly, its a DMA pipe with a DAC on the end

There's not necessarily a DAC at "the end" anymore. Could be SPDIF
too.

And if you say that a modern sound card behaves very similarly to early
90's sound card because it ues DMA, then you could say that sound card
is very similar to a harddisk, too. Which is definitely true in a way.

The really interesting part of audio is not the data transfer, it's
the timing. And that's where hardware changed. And software too. And
OSS is broken and legacy.

Lennart