Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Sep 23 16:55:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> As far as I know we again allow multiple simultaneous X logins by the
> same user.

If we do, it's broken.

> Also, PA supports console logins now, where multiple logins
> are the common case.

One of the many ways in which the consoles are broken.

> I'd love to have a per-homedir/per-machine bus in D-Bus. This would
> allow me to start PA up via normal activation. Unfortunately we don't
> have such a bus and adding it to D-Bus is admittedly questionnable
> since only in the fewest cases using such a bus is valid. Those cases
> are the ones where machine-specific resources are managed by a user
> dbus service. Besides PA only the new V4L daemon (possibly) comes to
> my mind that fall into this category. Adding such a bus for just two
> users probably doesn't make too much sense. Especially since according
> to Scott Upstart will eventually support starting per-user "singleton"
> daemons easily.

Adding such a bus makes no sense because the desktop and apps will
break/disallow concurrent usage.  About the only thing you can do in
such a second session is run a terminal, which you could do equally
well with just a new tab in your current session.