Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 23 17:58:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23.09.08 12:55, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> > As far as I know we again allow multiple simultaneous X logins by the
> > same user.
>
> If we do, it's broken.

Maybe we should come to some official agreement if we do want to allow
simultaneous X logins of the same user or not. In the last year or two
it was always a constant forth and back whether we would want to
support this or not. First people told me we should allow this, then
they told me we already gave up on it, then people told me we would
like to support it, now you again say we don't want it.

So, what's it now? Shall we support multiple simultaneous logins by the
same user on X or shall we not? I am pretty sure in GNOME allowing
this is a lost cause or would mean a lot of work, but maybe some of the
oh-I-have-a-gray-beard-i-like-fvwm fraction really insists on having
this feature.

What's the current default for gdm?

> > dbus service. Besides PA only the new V4L daemon (possibly) comes to
> > my mind that fall into this category. Adding such a bus for just two
> > users probably doesn't make too much sense. Especially since according
> > to Scott Upstart will eventually support starting per-user "singleton"
> > daemons easily.
>
> Adding such a bus makes no sense because the desktop and apps will
> break/disallow concurrent usage.  About the only thing you can do in
> such a second session is run a terminal, which you could do equally
> well with just a new tab in your current session.

Sure, I see the problem. Always did. But I wonder if the current plan
is to fix all those apps, or that we already gave up on it.

Anyway, for now I support multiple logins, since that is the superset
of the single-login case. But nonetheless I'd be interested to know
what actually is on.

Lennart