Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 10:47:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 21:03 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> How is this different than running 2 instances of vi?  If you edit the same
> >> file at the same time you'll have a conflict.  That doesn't mean you should
> >> cripple the system to the point where it can't run 2 instances of
> >> vi.
> >
> > vi has static config files. They are only read on vi's startup.
> >
> > OTOH GNOME usually does instant-apply. I.e. what you configure is
> > immediately executed and saved for later.
>
> I've always hated that.  I've had horrible things happen when I change
> layouts on a large screen and the next login is on a small one.  Things
> in general seem to resize better now so maybe it isn't as much of a
> problem. Can you still make apps open with the borders you need to
> resize them off the screen completely?
>
> > You did not respond to my question what you'd think the proper
> > behaviour would be for gnome-panel. I'll take that as an
> > acknowledgment that you understand that the problem exists.
>
> My idea of proper behavior is to not change defaults unless I specify
> that I want defaults changed.  I suppose that doesn't mesh very well
> with gnome concepts but just because I try something once on one monitor
> does not mean I'll want it always or ever again.  And in the context of
> multiple sessions for the same user, that would mean the last save wins
> as you expect for other files.

> >> Windows terminal services has gotten this more or less right since at least
> >> windows 2000 server that included 2 licenses for administrative use.  If
> >> they can do it with an interface that wasn't designed to be remote or
> >> multiuser, it can't be that hard.
> >
> > Are you sure you can log in twice on Win2k as exactly the same user id?
>
> Yes, and you can be running the same apps in different-sized windows in
> each.  You only get terminal services in the server products but it is
> done surprisingly well - current versions take sound along for the ride too.

Are you sure?  I was just watching somebody try to use RDP to a Windows
Server 2008 box this weekend and it blanked out the first login and only
allowed the second login direct access.  I could be wrong and maybe he
configured it wrong, but I though Windows only allowed one _active_
login at a time, and suspended the other remote sessions.

Dan