libjpeg Source0 URI points to non-existent file

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Sep 24 15:14:34 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> said:
> >From devel/libjpeg.spec:
>
>   Source0: ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.bz2
>
> AFAICT this file is non-existent, should be .gz instead.
>
> Now I would normally file a bug about this, but I want to check first
> if this is a genuine bug, or some sort of RPM or Fedora Makefile
> trickery, like it automatically generates a bzip file or something.
> Can someone tell me?

For a while, Red Hat was fetching source and recompressing it to bz2 to
gain a little space.  I don't think anybody is doing it now, but this
may be a remnant from that time (since the JPEG reference source hasn't
changed in a long time).

I would say that at this point it would be good to switch back to the
original (pristine) source; saving a few K by recompressing isn't worth
it.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>