please deactivate services by default!

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Sep 24 22:59:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 04:31:13PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:

> So what happens to messages from cron jobs and other standard Unix stuff
> that expects /bin/mail or /usr/sbin/sendmail to do something useful?
> What about mail clients like (IIRC) mutt that don't have an SMTP client
> built in?

If the application calls /bin/mail it should Requires /bin/mail. If the
application really needs a (local) smtp server, it should Requires
server(smtp) (smtpdaemon is deprecated, but can be used for backward
compatibility). If the application calls /usr/sbin/sendmail, it should
require /usr/sbin/sendmail.

I guess that a Requires: /usr/sbin/sendmail is missing for cronie.

fetchmail will soon stop needing a smtp server, and instead use
procmail for delivery.

But otherwise things looks pretty good:

# repoquery --whatprovides 'server(smtp)' smtpdaemon
sendmail-0:8.14.3-1.fc10.i386
postfix-2:2.5.1-4.fc10.i386
exim-0:4.69-7.fc10.i386

# repoquery --whatrequires 'server(smtp)' smtpdaemon
fetchmail-0:6.3.8-7.fc10.i386
sagator-0:1.1.1-0.beta1.fc10.noarch
mlmmj-0:1.2.15-2.fc9.i386
bugzilla-0:3.0.4-2.fc10.noarch
amavisd-new-0:2.5.2-3.fc10.noarch

# repoquery --whatprovides '/usr/sbin/sendmail'
esmtp-0:0.6.0-4.fc9.i386
exim-0:4.69-7.fc10.i386
postfix-2:2.5.1-4.fc10.i386
sendmail-0:8.14.3-1.fc10.i386
ssmtp-0:2.61-11.6.fc10.i386

# repoquery --whatrequires '/usr/sbin/sendmail'
websec-0:1.9.0-5.1.noarch
uudeview-0:0.5.20-17.fc10.i386
pgp-tools-0:1.0-1.fc10.noarch
alpine-0:2.00-1.fc10.i386
bcfg2-server-0:0.9.5.7-1.fc9.noarch
dbmail-0:2.2.9-2.fc10.i386
asterisk-voicemail-0:1.6.0-0.21.beta9.fc10.i386
mgetty-0:1.1.36-1.fc10.i386
squirrelmail-0:1.4.15-1.fc10.noarch
quilt-0:0.47-1.fc10.i386
fvwm-0:2.5.26-2.fc10.i386