please deactivate services by default!

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 25 00:29:18 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 06:30:50PM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Ok, so you still broke cron? I use cron for backups. I care about
>> getting that output delivered. For similar people not reading this list,
>> how are you going to ensure that their jobs still run and their output
>> still gets delivered like they're used to?
>
> if you care about the output being delivered,

Of course I care. Knowing if my nightly backup had problems is, well,
rather important.

> you should find the mail
> client (which can be a full blown MTA like sendmail, or esmtp/ssmtp) you
> prefer and configure it.

I like local delivery. For as long as I can remember, local delivery
Just Works(TM). Having to find and configure something would be a
serious regression (with potentially dire consequences if someone
doesn't know to do this).

> As a side note and unless I am wrong the package that provides
> /usr/sbin/sendmail with shortest name wins and I wouldn't be surprised
> if currently exim was installed.

Oh?

$ rpm -q -f /usr/sbin/sendmail
sendmail-8.14.2-4.fc9.x86_64

(Unless I lucked out and picked 'sendmail' when I installed?)

> We can do some kind of GUI in firstboot, as Jesse said but in the mean
> time I think that leaving the configuration to the user is better since
> we cannot guess for the user -- there is no superior setup, and no
> superior /usr/sbin/sendmail mail agent.

GUI setup is fine, just so long as it works by default. Working by
default is IMO really important. (That, or make sure that both new
installs and upgrades give me a Warning That I Cannot Possibly Miss if
it won't be working OOTB.)

Actually, working by default for things like smartctl is also really
important (I'd like to know if my HD is about to go belly-up, thank
you!), but at least we have the excuse that smartctl never worked nicely
to begin with.

--
Matthew
I was recently amused by issuing 'rm -rf $KDEDIR'... from Konsole, while