unfrozen repo somewhere?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 21:47:58 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:

> Wrong and wrong.  When using a USB key (which you can also do via virt
> systems) you can in fact update software, save files/settings.  The
> thing you can't do at this point is update the kernel.

Is the procedure for this documented somewhere?  I didn't think the free
vmware products would boot a usb image - but haven't tried it either.

>>   All of those are good reasons not to bother.
>
> Not to bother looking at what features it has also, obviously.

So far I haven't seen anything in release notes that looks anywhere near
as convenient as downloading a ready to run vmware image.  The process
to create a bootable USB looks like it requires a already-installed
system, and I don't see any estimate of the disk space and time it will
waste to do the 'install to hard drive' in a VM to get a writable
system.   I've also always had to track down hacks to make vmware tools
work when I wanted to run fedora under vmware - is that still a problem?

>> I suppose you could run a CD live image inside of a bare VMware instance
>> but you'd take a double hit or worse on performance plus wasting the
>> time and plastic to burn the image.
>
> How is it a double hit, especially if you're booting from the iso image
> rather than a burned media?

Isn't there an extra layer of filesystem compression happening to access
the iso files?  And on a real CD you have the slow seek time too.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com