Some initial discussions of a Fedora HPC SIG

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 22:20:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 09:44 -0700, Shawn Starr wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It would be great if we can kick off the SIG.
>
> 1) Which day and time would be good for the meetings in #fedora-meeting
>
> The available times are here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/FedoraMeetingChannel

I'm free most days after about 14:00 or 15:00UTC.

> 2) Let's come up with an initial agenda.

Defining what should be in a reasonably complete HPC Comps group
  Define a complete component list
  Pick which of those components should be default vs. optional
  Identify packages not yet in Fedora that are on the list and
    allow people to sign up to get them through a review process
    and in Fedora
  Identify any shortcomings in upstream standards for HPC
    packages (there's a lot here, eg. the upstream MPI groups
    don't have the faintest clue on how to get together and
    create a standard installation layout or anything else)
    Where upstream has no clue about doing things in a standard
      way, at least work to create one inside the framework
      of Fedora and attempt to push it to upstream if they are
      receptive of the idea.
    Identify packages in Fedora that need updating/changing to
      meet said standards
    Allow people to sign up to work those changes if the package
      maintainer is unable to do so

Something along those lines ought to get things started.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at